Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My cup runneth over...

Alright, so I thought I should add a story, well actually true account that happened when I went in for my 20 week ultrasound a few weeks back. For those who have not had the pleasure, or it has been awhile they tell you to drink 32 oz. of water completed an hour before your appointment. Well, this happened to fall during my last class of the day. I did a good job, drank my whole Nalgene but before the class was done I was thinking I have to go to the bathroom already. So when I was done, I went a little just to hold out until my appt. I think on the ride there Kent hit every possible pothole in the road, needless to say I had come to the conclusion there was no way I would make it through the hour appt, so when I walked thru the door I went immediately to the nearest restroom and again went a little. They were so kind to pull back to the ultrasound within 5 minutes of walking through the doors.

I got all gooped up with whatever the stuff they put on your stomache, the cold ultrasound thing-a-ma-bobber rubbing on my stomache and second later the technician say...holy cats, your bladder is exploding, you need to go let out about 2 1/2 cups....THANK GOODNESS! Well, when you really have to go the thoughts are running through your head that you just want to let it all out....but thank goodness for those kegels as once again I stopped midstream. So I ran back across the hall, laid down and once again got all gooped up. "Nope, you need to go back I still can't get an accurate reading, your bladder is just too full." My goodness what do they expect??? So once again I got back up and tried the same thing once again went back in and laid down. Three times a charm, right? Nope, one more time I went thru the goop, cleaned up and went back across the hall to let out yet another 2 1/2 cups out. Finally, I laid down we went thru all the measurements and BW thought it would be funny to start jumping from side to side...by that time my bladder had shrunk about 10 fold. Anyway, I thought we were done, but once again the technician said, I need you to go back and go to the bathroom once again so I can get my measurement that I haven't gotten yet.....Man, why drink 32 oz??? That was just cruel!

3 comments:

  1. Funny! When I got the 20 weeker, I specifically asked about the water. The tech told me we didn't need the water for that because the baby was big enough to see everything at that point. I wonder why they wanted you to drink it then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! The same thing happened to me only my tech finally gave me a cup to fill to make sure I emptied the right amount. It was miserable! And the tech looked at me like I was insane to have such a full bladder. What do they expect? My theory is that the instruction is meant to take care of those ladies who don't normally drink a lot of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy story! I don't remember having to drink that much water at all for the appointment. Good thing you have all that control!!

    ReplyDelete